After the overwhelming success of our current workshop with French sound documentarian Benoit Bories, we decided to offer a special workshop for artists, to work closely with Benoit on their individual projects in a small group setting. This workshop is geared towards artists who have already a professional or semi-professional practice in radio drama, sound art or sound installations.The workshop is limited to 4 people.
[Nov 24/25] A practical approach to developing large audio projects, for radio drama, sound art or sound installations.
Benoit Bories / Faidos Sonore
Monday/Tuesday, Nov 24/25, 10am to 5pm.
THIS WORKSHOP IS LIMITED TO 4 (FOUR) STUDENTS!
Send short project description, bio, links to sound samples to email@example.com by Monday, Nov 17. When accepted, you will receive an invoice for the workshop cost.
After the overwhelming success of our current workshop with French sound documentarian Benoit Bories, we decided to offer a special workshop for artists, to work closely with Benoit on their individual projects in a small group setting. This workshop is geared towards artists who have already a professional or semi-professional practice in radio drama, sound art or sound installations.
This is not a theoretical examination of this topics, but a hands-on course, and we expect artists to bring in their current projects to work with. During two afternoon on a Monday and Tuesday we will put into practice the methods and techniques demonstrated in Benoit’s past Sound Method workshop.
During the workshop we will put into practice the elements necessary for a successful sound project:
- How to imagine and plan a sound piece.
- To understand the importance of the sound recording devices for sampling of sounds.
- To envision and understand the stages of sound sampling: frequencies filtering, sound dynamics, thinking on a plugin chain to apply to sound matters in order to obtain expected sonorities.
- To have a global understanding of acoustic phenomena.
- To know the various ways of sound editing, and thinking of it in term of sound layers. Imagine your sounds as layers in order to build an acoustic space yourself.
- To understand the methodology of mixing: using automation (volume, stereophony, effects) on an assembly of sounds.
And check out his sound installation at Harvestworks Nov 21-23: In the Breath of an Animal.
Benoit Bories is a documentarist and sound creator. He produces audio documentaries for France Culture, Arte Radio, Radio France International, RTBF and ABC Radio. He also works sound creations in the field of the live performance and trans-media productions (web-documentary, installations). In 2009, he founded Faïdos Sonore with Charlotte Rouault. Together, they animate workshops of sound creations for different public (education, museum and specialized institutes). The physicist formation of Benoit Bories and his practice of the sound him allowed to acquire an autonomy and a report of autodidact compared to sound creation. Benoit Bories gained the Price Bohemia 2013, Special Commendation of the Price Europa 2013 and has been finalist at the Prices Italia 2013 and Sheffield Documentary Award 2014 for the documentary “Camp sisterhood » produced by Arte Radio.