This series of workshops is intended to people having already a practice of the sound writing and sound recording. It is conceived to give methodological bases concerning sound recording, sound sampling, editing and mixing to carry out sound creations documentary or more musical forms, radio drama, hörspiel or electroacoustic pieces. At the end of the session, the participants acquired a work method which they will be then able to use within the daily framework of their sound activity.
[Nov 5/12/19] Workshop: A methodology of the sound recording and documentary sound writing.
Three Wednesdays, Nov 5, 12 and 19 2014, all 7pm to 10:30pm
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org required, the class is limited to 10 people!
596 Broadway, #602 | New York, NY 10012
Subway: F/M/D/B Broadway/Lafayette, R Prince, 6 Bleecker
In this series of workshops by French audio documentarian and sound artist Benoit Bories, we will give methodological bases concerning sound recording, sound sampling, editing and mixing to carry out sound creations documentary or more musical forms, radio drama, hörspiel or electroacoustic pieces. At the end of the session, the participants acquired a work method which they will be then able to use within the daily framework of their sound activity.
The workshop takes place in Harvestworks’ state-of-the-art 7.1 multichannel sound studio.
1) Wednesday, November 5th
- Listen to sound creations. Discussion around models of sound writing using the depth of stereo field to confront sound sequences with different temporalities
- Comprehension of the sound phenomenon: three dimensions of the sound (time, frequencies and dynamics)
- Having a general review of sound recording stereo systems. To think the device of his sound writing and sound recording according to the future sound editing.
- Concept of acoustic space acoustic. The reverberation phenomenon.
2) Wednesday, November 12th
- Listen to hybrid sound creations using electroacoustic.
- The work of frequencies filtering.
- Dyamical work of the sound matters.
- Practical exercises.
- Discussion around the sound matters already collected within the framework of work of the participants.
- Sound recordings with microswitches. Specific methodology to these microphones.
3) Wednesday, November 19th
- Sound creation in the trans-media new writings trans-media. Watching of examples of web-documentary and experimental films.
- Other families of effects: the transposition, reverberation, the electroacoustic effects electroacoustics type GRM Tools.
- Use of the reverberation.
- Practical exercises. Musical sound matter constitution.
- The multitrack editing : various manners of writing on several layers.
- Constitution of an acoustic space
- Techniques to instigate an editing.
Benoit Bories is a documentarist and sound creator. He produces audio documentaries for France Culture, Arte Radio, Radio France International, RTBF and ABC Radio. He also works sound creations in the field of the live performance and trans-media productions (web-documentary, installations). In 2009, he founded Faïdos Sonore with Charlotte Rouault. Together, they animate workshops of sound creations for different public (education, museum and specialized institutes). The physicist formation of Benoit Bories and his practice of the sound him allowed to acquire an autonomy and a report of autodidact compared to sound creation. Benoit Bories gained the Price Bohemia 2013, Special Commendation of the Price Europa 2013 and has been finalist at the Prices Italia 2013 and Sheffield Documentary Award 2014 for the documentary “Camp sisterhood » produced by Arte Radio.